- This impeachment trial of former President Donald Trump is nothing more than a politically motivated overreach that will only divide our country further.
The process has already been tainted by Democrats who rushed impeachment through the House (with zero due process for President Trump), only for Nancy Pelosi to delay sending the articles to the Senate for 28 days.
- Even the New York Times Editorial Board pointed out that Pelosi did not win “any concessions” from Senate Republicans through her delay.
- Many Democrats called for President Trump to be impeached even before he took office.
The Founders designed the impeachment process as a way to remove officeholders from public office - not as a tool to punish private citizens.
- Several prominent law professors, jurists, and nearly every Senate Republican have made clear they agree that this process is unconstitutional.
- Democrats like Bernie Sanders already admitted to delaying action on important legislation like COVID relief for political gain, and now they are doing it again.
- Democrats complained for four years about the desire to move on from President Trump. But now that they have the chance to focus on priorities like combatting COVID, opening our schools, distributing vaccines, and getting Americans back to work - they are focused on this distraction because they have nothing else to offer.
- Republicans will keep fighting for American workers while Democrats are proving their calls for unity are disingenuous and would rather focus on a post-presidency impeachment.
- RNC Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel Op-Ed: Trump impeached - here’s what this charade tells us about Democrat priorities
- Read the trial memorandum here.